- MEDICAL BIOTECHNOLOGY
- PLANT BIOTECHNOLOGY (Double Diplomas)
- INNOVATIVE BIOELECTROTECHNOLOGIES
- APPLIED BIOTECHNOLOGY
Specialization Plant Biotechnology
The specialization Plant (Horticulture, Agriculture and Forest) Biotechnology of the Master degree study programme in Applied Biotechnology is organized by the Department of Biology at the Faculty of Natural Sciences (VMU) in close co-operation with the institutes of the Lithuanian Research Centre for Agriculture and Forestry (LAMMC) – Institute of Horticulture (IH), Forest Research Institute (FRI), and Institute of Agriculture (IA).
The objective of specialization Plant (Horticulture, Agriculture and Forest) Biotechnology is to deepen student knowledge in plant biotechnology in order to get prepared for their future professional or research activities in this area. It is comprised of four compulsory subjects (24 ECTS) covering different aspects of plant biotechnology.
Compulsory Subjects (6 ECTS each) of this specialization:
- 1. Molecular Biology of Medicinal Plants BIO 5010;
- 2. Forest Biotechnology BTC 6021 (FRI)*;
- 3. Agricultural Biotechnology BTC 6022 (IA)**;
- 4. Horticulture Biotechnology BTC 6023 (HI)***.
*Note: This subject is taught at VMU & the Forest Research Institute;
**Note: This subject is taught at the Horticulture Institute;
***Note: This subject is taught at the Institute of Agriculture.
Students can start composing a unique, individualised profile of their degree already during the first year of their study by choosing two elective subjects. This way they can direct their studies toward plant biotechnology even more by studying subjects, which are closely related to this area.
Elective Subjects related to Plant Biotechnology (6 ECTS each):
1. Biofuel BIF 5001;
2. Genetically Modified Organisms BIO 6003;
3. Applications of Pulsed Electric Fields for Food and Biomass Processing.
Double Diplomas programme
VMU, via strategic alliances with international academic partners, offers to outstanding students of specialization Plant (Horticulture, Agriculture and Forest) Biotechnology the possibility to follow a double diploma-programme.Currently, Double diplomas is offered in cooperation with the following international universities:
- Al-Farabi Kazakh National University (Almaty, Kazakhstan)
- M. Kozybaev North Kazakhstan State University (Petropavlovsk, Kazakhstan)
Read more about Double Diploma opportunity.